Edwalton Holy Rood


Core fabric probably C13/14th with C14th S.aisle arcade

N. wall complex, core probably C13th

Chancel rebuilt 1894 by Brewill & Bailey

Tower probably C16th, brick, English bond

Extension built on N.side of chancel 1996

Significant Interior Features

Awaiting detailed analysis

Timbers and roofs

  Nave Chancel Tower
Main Awaiting analysis 1894  
S.Aisle Awaiting analysis n/a  
N.Aisle n/a Modern extension 1996  
Other principal      
Other timbers      


Cast-Iron ‘H’ frame installed by Taylor’s of Loughborough in 1924. Extended in 1994.

Not scheduled for preservation. Grade 5.


  Nave Chancel Tower
Plaster covering & date Plastered, date unclear    
Potential for wall paintings Possible - nave    

Excavations and potential for survival of below-ground archaeology

A geophysical (resistivity) survey and a watching brief was undertaken on the area disturbed by the 1996 extension (John Samuels Archaeological Consultants report no. 146/97/002). No significant archaeological stratigraphy was identified but a large number of inhumation burials were located. A low resistance anomaly in the S.W. corner of the site, identified in the geophysical survey, was located but its significance was unclear.

The overall potential for the survival of below-ground archaeology in the churchyard is considered low-moderate and below the present interior floors is considered to be high.

Exterior:Largely inhumation burials, medieval to C19th. Evidence for the former priest’s house should be present.

Interior:Nave largely undisturbed, has high potential for surviving medieval stratigraphy. Tower and chancel both rebuilt post-medieval and therefore have lower potential.

Standing fabric of nave has high potential as complex, multiphase construction features exist.

Excavations at the base of the external buttress on the north side of the chancel during works to build a new extension in 1996 Construction work for the new extension in 1996 with archaeological recording in progress Exposed section of adult inhumation burial recorded during works to build a new extension in 1996
All photographs copyright John Samuels Archaeological Consultants