For this church:
The churchyard extends to approximately three-quarters of an acre and surrounds the church. It is entered by an oak lych gate (1932) at its north-west corner, and is bounded by a hedge of quickthorn and other bushes, reinforced in part by post-and-rail fencing. In 1997 a large extension to the church was built on the north side of the churchyard.
The major part of the churchyard lies to the south of the church and burials still take place in this area. This part also includes two semi-circular areas used as a ‘Garden of Rest’ for interment of ashes and memorial plaques. The oldest headstones, now horizontal, date from the end of the sevententh century but only a few are pre-nineteenth century. The marshy nature of the ground may partly account for this. The only headstone with an inscription of interest is for Rebeccah Freeland (1741): ‘She drank good ale, good punch and wine, And Lived to the Age of Ninety-Nine’.
Following the building of the 1997 extension a paddock, south of the main churchyard, and adjoining it, was cleared and transformed into a memorial garden, planted with trees and shrubs given by individuals in memory of loved ones. The work was carried out by the voluntary labour of parishioners and the garden is similarly maintained.