Edwalton Holy Rood
Features and Fittings
| Chancel screen
|| Rood cross
1894 oak rood screen
(with crucifix and figures above) erected by Arthur Brewill in memory of Sophia Brewill.
A brass plaque on the screen reads:
TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND IN MEMORY OF
SOPHIA BREWILL WHO DIED NOV. 18TH 1886, AND IS
BURIED IN LENTON CHURCHYARD, NOTTINGHAM
IS THIS SCREEN ERECTED BY HER SON
ARTHUR W. BREWILL OF EDWALTON LODGE […]
Triple sedilia with panels containing inscriptions to the memory of three former vicars of Holy Rood church: the Rev William Cruft, the Rev Matthew Lamert and the Rev Joseph Ridgway.
The inscriptions read:
GULIELMI JOANNIS CRUFT
SERVI DEI FIDELIS
PAROCHIAE DE EDWALTON
PER XVII ANNOS
MDCCCLXXIV : MDCCCXCI
HOC SAXUM DEDICATUM EST
EP AD GAL V XXII
MATTHAEI LAMERT A.M.
PAROCHIAE DE EDWALTON
PER IV ANNOS
MDCCCXCI = MDCCCXCIV
NECNON ALICTA PAROCHI MERCES
SACRARIUM EIUS OPERA AEDIFICATUM
OBIIT APUD TORQUAY
PRID. CAL. SEXT. MCMXVIII.
NATUS ANNOS LXX
VICARII DE EDWALTON
PER XXI ANNOS
MCMXXV – MCMXLVI
Incidendem cuaverunt amici
Bonum certamen certavi,
Piscina on the south wall of the chancel
|| Font with cover
font with a bowl of magnesian limestone, approx. 2ft. 7ins. x 2ft. ascribed variously
to the 13th century and 16th century.
The font stands on four 19th century marble shafts and square base.
Hipped wooden cover with re-used fleur-de-lys
Traceried octagonal skeleton pulpit on ashlar base.
Brass eagle lectern given in memory of the parishioners who served in the First World War. The inscription on the base reads:
Church of the Holy Rood, Edwalton, the Parish Thank-offering
for mercies received during the Great War A.D. 1914-1918.
Large modern oak altar table and a small modern altar table of German oak in the south aisle
Painted triptych at the east end of the south aisle. The inscription reads:
TO THE GLORY OF GOD IN GRATITUDE FOR THE HEALING HANDS OF DAPHNE STEVENSON (1924-2002) AND DR WILLIAM PERRY (1919-2002)
| Tower screen
|| Snell plaque
Original oak tower
screen given by Annie E. Snell in 1949 in memory and thanksgiving for the safe
return of members of the family.
The top portion and glazing added in 1994 in memory
of parishioners and members of the church.
A brass plaque next to the tower arch reads:
THIS SCREEN is erected by ANNIE E. SNELL,
a grateful daughter, wife and mother,
in LOVING MEMORY of her parents
SIR THOMAS SHIPSTONE, KT, Church Warden
for several years, and ELIZA, his wife. Also
her husband DR J. ERIC B. SNELL, M.A., M.B., B.CH.
PROUD THANKSGIVING to ALMIGHTY GOD
for the safe return of her sons and daughters
TOMMY, PETER, BARBARA, NOANIE and PAT
who all served in the 1939-45 War
They all loved this Church and worshipped in it
for many years
1st October 1949
ladder to bell-chamber