For this church:
Lenton St Anthony
Official Listing Description
The following are listed:
Chapel of the Hospital of St Anthony at Lenton Priory, now church. Chancel c1108, remainder 1883. Additions at west end c1992. Coursed rubble and coursed squared stone, with ashlar dressings and slate roofs with coped gables. Plinth and moulded eaves. PLAN: chancel, vestry, nave with clerestory and aisles. EXTERIOR: chancel has angle buttresses and 3-light Decorated east window. South side has a pointed arched window to west, C13, and a C19 3-light flat-headed window. Vestry, to north, has flat roof and angle buttress. Porch to north with shouldered door flanked by 2-light flat-headed windows. Nave clerestory has 6 pointed arched clerestory windows each side. West gable has angle buttresses and a square wooden bell turret with lead covered pyramidal spire. Chamfered pointed arched door covered by C20 glazed lobby, and above, a 3-light pointed arched window. South aisle has buttresses and 5 flat-headed windows, 2 lights. Similar windows at each end. Buttressed north aisle, 4 bays, has 3 flat-headed windows, 3 lights, and a similar window to west. INTERIOR: rendered. Chancel has C19 moulded arch without responds, and boarded wagon roof. East end has C19 stained glass window. North side has segmental pointed opening with organ, and C19 aumbry and piscina. South side has C13 piscina and C12 window with C19 stained glass. Nave has 4-bay arcades with octagonal piers and 4-centred arches with hood moulds. Queen post roof with traceried spandrels. West end has pointed arched doorway and memorial stained glass window, 1946. Aisles have lean-to roofs and plain windows. North aisle has traceried wooden screen to east. Fittings include Arms of Charles I on board, and C19 font, pulpit, lectern, benches and stalls. Memorials include marble and slate tablet, 1833. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Nottinghamshire: London: 1979-: 253; Church guide: Lenton: 1971-).
Listing NGR: SK5528838800
Sarcophagus. c1828. Ashlar with slate inscribed tablets. To William Stretton and other members of the family. Moulded base, rebated corners, reeded edging, moulded top. The sarcophagus stands on a square platform, formerly enclosed by a railing. William Stretton, a successful builder, built and lived in the nearby house known as Lenton Priory (qv). (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Nottinghamshire: London: 1979-: 252).
Listing NGR: SK5524838759
Family vault. Dated 1828. To various members of the Wright family, bankers, of Lenton Hall. Rectangular ashlar slab with sloped top, and inscribed slate tablet to north. Cast-iron spearhead railing and posts with urn finials, and cast-iron plaques dated 1828.
Listing NGR: SK5521638739
Chest tomb. Dated 1816. Ashlar, with slate inscribed tablets. To Anne Browne Milnes, and 1817 to Herbert Foxcroft. Moulded base, rebated corners with panelled pilasters, moulded arched top. Inscribed tablets on each side, those at the ends illegible.
Listing NGR: SK5527138780
Churchyard wall and gates. 1811. Coursed squared stone. At the north-west corner of the churchyard, a pair of square gate piers with rebated ashlar caps and wrought-iron lampholders. Pair of scroll-topped wrought-iron gates. The wall, with gabled stone coping, runs parallel to Gregory street approx 70m, then southwards along Old Church Street approx 100m to a gateway. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Nottinghamshire: London: 1979-: 253).
Listing NGR: SK5531038789
Formerly known as: Priory Ruins PRIORY STREET Lenton. Base of the easterly pier of the ambulatory of the church of Lenton Priory. 1102-08, for William Peverel. Round ashlar column with chamfered base and rubble core. Approx 1m high. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Nottinghamshire: London: 1979-: 253).
Listing NGR: SK5529038720
Fragment of north aisle wall and north transept of the church of the Cluniac Priory. Early C12, consolidated C19. Coursed squared stone, random rubble and ashlar. Chamfered ashlar coping, early C19. Approx 30m of wall with 2 corners defining the north and west walls of the transept. Average height approx 1.5m, reduced almost to ground level at the NW corner of the transept. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Nottinghamshire: London: 1979-: 252-253).
Listing NGR: SK5523238728