For this church:
Rolleston Holy Trinity
Official Listing Description
The following are listed:
Parish church. C12, C13, C14, chancel restored 1878, tower restored 1889, further late C19 restoratioins. Dressed coursed rubble and ashlar. Slate roofs. Coped gables to east nave and chancel and south aisle with single ridge cross finials to the east nave and chancel. Tower, nave, aisles, south porch and chancel. Angle buttressed C12 and C14 tower set on a moulded plinth and of 4 stages with bands. Embattled with 8 crocketed pinnacles. The centre pinnacle on each side being corbelled out. The corbel rising from the centre point between the 2 light bell chamber openings. There are 8 gargoyles. The west wall has a single ogee arched light originally C12, recut C14. Above is an arched 2 light window with ogee arched and cusped lights and single quatrefoil. The north and south sides have single, similar recut lights. There are 4 C14 bell chamber openings each has 2 pointed arched openings surmounted by a further 2similar openings. The ogee arched hood mould is broken by the pinnacle corbel. The south side has a single rectangular stair light and the south and north sides have single small arched and cusped lights and 4 tie plates. The west side has 2 tie plates and on each side is a single large tie plate. The west wall of the dressed coursed rubble north aisle has a single quatrefoil set into a circle. The buttressed north wall has a single restored lancet, to the left is a chamfered arched doorway with impost bands and hood mould. Further left are 2 pairs of restored lancets. The north east and east walls are on chamfered plinths. In the C14 ashlar clerestory are 4 windows each with 2 arched lights under a flat arch. The chancel is set on a plinth. The north chancel has a single lancet, to the left is a Caernarvon arched doorway and further left a C14 window with 2 ogee arched and cusped lights, each light with 2 decorative orbs, under a flat arch with hood mould and human head label stops. The hood mould is decorated with fleuron and there is a single central carved grotesque head over, with a single similar worn head under the window. The east end has a single arched C19 4 light window with cusped tracery and hood mould. The south chancel has 2 C14 windows each with 2 ogee arched lights, cusped tracery under a flat arch and hood mould. The east wall of the buttressed dressed coursed rubble south aisle has a single lancet with hood mould. The south wall with single C14 gargoyle, has 3 windows each with 2 arched and cusped lights, flat arch, hood mould and head label stops, mainly human. The gabled and coped diagonally buttressed porch with single ridge cross finial has a C19 moulded arched entrance. The inner order being supported on engaged colonnettes with moulded capitals and the arch decorated with fleuron. There is a hood mould and label stops over. In the apex, set into a rectangular panel, is a decorative shield with hood mould and label stops. The side walls each have single C19 arched and cusped lights. To the left of that on the east side is a single angel's head carved in shallow relief. Inner round and chamfered arched C12 doorway with impost bands and worn hood mould decorated with billet. Plank door with iron hinges. In the west wall of the aisle is a single quatrefoil set into a circle. The clerestory corresponds to the north. Interior. 4 bay late C13 nave arcades with double chamfered arches. The north arcade has a single central octagonal column, alternating 4 sides of concave moulding with 4 shafts with large moulded capitals. The columns either side each consist of 4 shafts with moulded capitals and the responds of single shafts and moulded capitals. South arcade, rebuilt 1895-6, with wide octagonal west column with nailhead decorated capital. The 2 eastern columns each of 4 shafts with fillets around an octagonal column, the western most with crocket leaf capital and eastern most with stiff leaf capital and further decorated with carved heads. The large octagonal west respond with moulded capital. The east octagonal respond has a projecting corbel decorated with nailhead supporting a foliate decorated capital. The base has 2 spurs. The arch over the west octagonal column hasbroach stops and there is a hood mould with human head label stops over the 2 eastern most arches. Double chamfered tower arch, the inner order being supported on octagonal responds and moulded capitals. Double chamfered chancel arch the inner order supported on octagonal responds with overhanging moulded capitals and single shaft rings. The south chancel has an arched piscina with remnants of a pedestal piscina with scalloping. The south aisle south wall has an arched piscina. The south aisle south windows have shaped arches. The north wall of the nave and the south wall of the north aisle have some C12 herringbone masonry. Octagonal font on splayed octagonal pedestal with C17 cover. The pulpit, oak chest and altar rails with turned balusters are C17. C14 traceried screen. Fragments of C11 cross shaft. Remaining furniture C19 and C20. Monuments include in the north chancel to Nicholas Lodge, 1612, a plaque with marble surround decorated with fleuron with a skull on the apron and a shield on the crown. There is a brass plaque to Rev. John Edwards, 1804. In the south chancel is a damaged C17 ashlar monument to Luke Williamson, the sides decorated with scrolls and the crown with an angel's head and wings. That to Selina Hempsall, 1750, is flanked by single pilasters, has a decorative apron and is topped with a broken pediment. In thenorth aisle are fragments of C13 ashlar memorials decorated with stylised crosses with a monument to John Twentyman, 1774, in the north wall, a fragment of decoratively carved ashlar and a fragment of a C13 floor slab decorated with a cross. In the south aisle, west wall, is a monument to John Twentyman, 1705, with segmental arched head. To the right is a small carved fragment. There are the remains of some C13 floor slabs with several C18 floor slabs.
Sundial. Dated 1718. Ashlar, some lead. Octagonal shaft, 1 metre high. The square top with remains of lead sundial. The south side inscribed "Church Wardens" and the east side "1718". Other illegible inscriptions.