For this church:
South Leverton All Saints
South Leverton’s churchyard is large, varied and extremely pleasant in the Spring. It is all beautifully kept. There are several mature trees to the south east of the church and this area is kept as a Spring garden. It carpeted with celandines and primroses alongside clumps of daffodils with a green carpet of various plants in mid-April.
To the north and east of the church the churchyard is laid to lawn and kept in excellent condition with, in Spring, a long planting of daffodils along the eastern border. Along the south boundary a brick wall encloses it for a short distance close to houses but subsequently the whole churchyard is bounded by hedges. Yew trees and shrubs grow between the west gate and the church.
The oldest grave markers still legible, dating from 1736-1775. One grave-marker of 1892 commemorates a William Fletcher who was Sergeant in the 83rd Regiment of Foot for twenty one years and reminds us of the call of Empire in Victoria’s reign and the distance village men might travel in her service.