For this church:
South Leverton All Saints
List of Incumbents
William II gave the church of South Leverton, as part of the manor of Mansfield, to the Bishop of Lincoln in 1093. In 1194 it was assigned to the Dean of Lincoln. There is no record of the building of a vicarage but it was done by 1279. The Dean of Lincoln was the patron until 1834, then the Bishop of Lincoln by 1867. In 1884, along with the rest of the county, it became part of the Diocese of Southwell and the parish came under the patronage of the Bishop of Southwell. In 1952 by Order of Council it was united with North Leverton.
Notes on Some of the Clergy
A “frequenter of alehouses”
Richard Mustion (or Muston) was still in the parish in 1641 when he was listed on the Protestation returns. A puritan, he fled to Lincoln c1643, and there was a petition to the Earl of Newcastle to replace him by James Stevenson. This may have been the James Stephenson who was curate in St Peter’s, Habblesthorpe in 1641 at the time of the Protestation returns.
“A protestant refugee of France”. Probably Henry Gaches is one charged with seduction and attempt to procure abortion 17 August 1695.
John Cleaver read the service himself once in 1807, but was never in the parish again. John Mickle, then vicar of North Leverton officiated in his place. White’s Directory of 1832 mentions the Rev John Mickle officiating but not the incumbent.
His greatest pre-occupation seems to have been making money. He shot himself with a horse pistol in 1866.
Alfred Thornley was a student of entomology. His collection is in the Natural History Museum.
He had been a rubber planter in Malaysia. Failing sight prevented him becoming a missionary in China. He became blind but did all parochial work. He was vicar of North Leverton 1931-56. (The union of North and South Leverton churches by Order of Council took place in 1952.)