Caunton St Andrew

Features and Fittings

The fontFont

13th Century, octagonal bowl, tapered octagonal stem, moulded base and capital.

The pulpitPulpit

1869. Pierced-panel timber on corbelled ashlar base. It replaces an older pulpit, now in Holme Parish Church.


Nave, 1869, moulded softwood.

Choir stalls

1905, oak, moulded, pieced panel.

The Lectern

One of the plaques on
the lectern - this one
is for St John


1869. Brass and iron, conical base, twisted stem, crocketed capital and iron filigree bookstand. Probably chosen from a catalogue of church fittings indicating the influence of the Oxford movement. At the base are four brass plaques depicting the symbols of the four evangelists.

Communion rails

1869. Simple oak rail supported by ironwork.

Communion table

1869. Plain table, simple pierced woodwork, softwood.

Carved wooden frieze

Chancel 1905 (matching oak pews and wainscotting): inscription running west to east round chancel starting on north wall and continuing to south wall split into sections (—) and reading:

+ Offered to God’s glory & in memory of — Dean Hole D.D. by — parishioners & friends; John Tinkler — MA being Vicar, Joseph Glover & — George Pinder being — churchwardens 1905


Three piscinas can be seen in various places:

Piscina in the
south aisle with
shaped ogee head
Simple piscina
in the
north aisle
Piscina set into
chancel woodwork,
showing part of frieze

Carved Stonework

There are a number of examples of carved stonework around the church

Foliate carving on
pillar capitals
Carving on one of
the tower pillars
Carved bracket with
Tudor rose motif
  Carved doves behind
the pulpit
Carved bracket in
form of a head