For this church:
The church consists of west tower with spire, clerestoried nave, north and south aisles, north organ chamber, north vestry, north kitchen and toilet extension, south porch and chancel.
The vestry was added to the north chancel wall during the 1877-78 restoration and the adjacent organ chamber was built in 1899-1900. The organ was removed in 1988 and the space is now used as an office. The extension containing a kitchen and toilets on the north wall of the tower was added in 2012.
An arson attack in 1996 resulted in the destruction of much of the interior and tower timberwork. All major roofs and timbers were renewed 1997-8.
The restoration of the church is commemorated by a circular slate plaque set into the floor of the nave. The inscription states:
Late C13th four-bay arcades have quatrefoil piers with fillets, moulded capitals and double-chamfered arches; the responds are corbels, supported on the east side on single, carved human heads.
Medieval Cross Slab
At the south-east corner of the nave substantial quoins are visible, the lower ones removed to bond in the aisle wall – low down here and adjacent to the chancel wall is a fragment of slab.
Description and drawing of the cross slab fragment courtesy of Peter Ryder.
Timbers and roofs
Cast-iron ‘H’ frame, Pickford Group 8.3, probably 1906 by Taylors of Loughborough. Remodelled in 1984 to accommodate two further bells (6 to 8)
Scheduled for preservation by recording Grade 4.
Excavations and potential for survival of below-ground archaeology
Following the fire in 1996, and prior to the commencement of repair works, an archaeological evaluation by the Trent and Peak Archaeological Trust in 1997 (report No. CAS/1104) revealed potential archaeology in the form of possible foundations and floor deposits, both in the nave and in the tower at depths of 300mm and 200mm respectively. The chancel floor, which was raised in the C19th, had no indication of archaeological stratigraphy prior to that date above 350mm (the maximum depth of disturbance).
The nave and tower floors were subject to a detailed archaeological excavation in conjunction with works of repair during 1997. The foundations of the Norman nave were traced on the south side, and considerable evidence was found for foundations in the tower, the west end of the nave and south-east corner of the nave which pre-date the current upstanding fabric.
The overall potential for the survival of below-ground archaeology in the churchyard is considered to be moderate and below the present interior floors (beyond what has already been excavated in 1997) is considered to be high.
Exterior:Primarily ecclesiastical C12th-C20th, mainly human inhumation burials. Some possibility of domestic deposits given the central location of the church within the settlement and its known C12th origins.
Interior:Nave and tower to approx. 350mm known from 1997 archaeological excavations. Early foundations known to exist and stratified later floor levels and related deposits. Similar evidence likely below 350mm in chancel.
Walls:Core fabric C12-C15th. Further evidence of C12th may be evident. Replastered 1997 with no opportunity for archaeological recording (walls undamaged and unaffected by fire).