For this church:
Cotgrave All Saints
Official Listing Description
The following are listed:
Parish church. C12, C13, C14, C15, C19, restored 1877-8 by Evans and Jolly. Dressed coursed rubble, ashlar and render. Slate roofs with decorative ridges. Coped gables with single ridge crosses to the east nave and the east chancel. Tower with spire, nave, aisles, north organ chamber, north vestry, south porch and chancel. Angle buttressed late C14 ashlar tower of 2 stages with bands. Embattled with spire and set on a moulded plinth. The west side has a single arched C14 3 light window with reticulated tracery. The south side has a doorway with 2 rectangular lights above. Each of the 4 C14 bell chamber openings has 2 arched and cusped lights under a flat arch. The north opening lacking mullion. Under that on the east side is a single clock face. Projecting from the west wall of the north aisle is a render and pantile lean-to. Buttressed dressed coursed rubble north wall with moulded arched doorway with hood mould and label stops. To the left are 2 restored C14 3 light windows each with reticulated tracery under a flat arch. The rendered C15 clerestory has 3 windows each with 2 arched and cusped lights under a flat arch. The rendered C15 clerestory has 3 windows each with 2 arched and cusped lights under a flat arch. To the left is the ashlar gabled C19 organ chamber set on a chamfered plinth with single C19 arched 3 light window with cusped panel tracery. Under is a single trefoil arched wall tablet. To the left and slightly set back is the buttressed C19 vestry set on a chamfered plinth. The east wall has a single C19 arched window with 2 cinquefoil lights. Rendered diagonally buttressed east chancel with single C19 arched 3 light window with cusped panel tracery, hood mould and label stops. Rendered south chancel with 2 C19 arched 2 light windows each with cusped panel tracery, hood mould and label stops. Single central arched C19 doorway with hood mould and label stops. The buttressed dressed coursed rubble south aisle is set on a plinth and has in the east wall a single arched restored C14 3 light window with cusped tracery, hood mould and label stops. The south wall has 3 C19 3 light windows each with reticulated tracery under a flat arch. To the left is the diagonally buttressed gabled porch with decorative barge board and moulded arched C19 entrance with hood mould and label stops. The side walls each have single windows with 2 trefoil arched lights under a flat arch. Inner pointed chamfered arched doorway with double door with pointed arched panels. The west wall of the aisle has a single small lancet. The clerestory corresponds to the north. Interior. Late C13 4 bay nave arcades with double chamfered arches, quatrefoil piers with fillets and moulded capitals, the responds being corbels, supported on the east side on single, carved human heads. Tall chamfered tower arch with broach stops and wood and glass screen. Evidence of widened nave seen by the off-centre C12 double chamfered chancel arch, the inner order with broach stops is supported on demi-columns with waterleaf capitals, the outer order on jambs of roll moulding. Double chamfered chancel/organ chamber arch, to the right is the doorway to the vestry. South doorway with decorative spandrel. The east wall of the north aisle has a single former window with 3 lights and reticulated tracery. The south wall of the south aisle has an ogee arched piscina. C18 wooden chest. Fragment of a shaft piscina decorated with waterleaf. Remaining furniture C19 with an ashlar octagonal font with decorated panels and a brass offerings box. There are 2 boards detailing the 10 Commandments and a single board with King Charles’ Rules. The south chancel has a wall tablet to Mildred Scrimshire, 1783, this is topped with a broken pediment containing an obelisk decorated with a figure. On the north wall is a tablet to William Lanson, 1800, this is surmounted by a decorative sarcophagus and a table to Catherine Browne, 1813. On the west nave wall is a plaque to Thomas Wood Mensing, 1836.
Note: The above listing has not been updated since the fire of 1996.
Chest tomb. Early C19. Ashlar. Rectangular chest with single tapering fluted piers at each angle with acanthus decorated capitals. Flanking the inscription of the longer sides are single pilaster strips decorated with lozenges. Moulded shaped top lacking finial. Most inscriptions defaced.
Lychgate and attached walls. 1899. Built for the third Earl Manvers. Ashlar, wood and iron. Lychgate with double wooden gate flanked by single ashlar walls at right angles to the gate. The walls are surmounted by open wooden framing which support the hipped slate roof with sprocketed eaves and single corner carved animal heads. Ridge with decorative cross. Flanking the ashlar walls and extending at a right angle for about a single metre are further single ashlar walls surmounted by decorative iron railings and terminating in single ashlar piers with moulded caps. Beam of gate inscribed “This Lychgate made of Sherwood Forest Oak was presented to the parish of Cotgrave by Sydney William Herbert Third Earl Manvers A.D. 1899”.