For this church:
In memory of the Venerable
“He being dead yet speaketh.”
Also in memory of Elizabeth
“Them also which sleep in Jesus
In Memory of
In Memory of
To the Memory of
Godfrey (1907) recorded the inscriptions of several floor stones in the church:
‘A floor stone is inscribed:—“ HERE lies interr’d the Body of MARGARET SCRIMSHIRE, Spinster, who died ye 15th May 1748, aged 67.”
The late Lieut.-Col. A. E. Lawson Lowe, F.S.A., supplied us with the following inscriptions in September, 1885 :—
“Within a recent period there were certainly three legible floor-stones in the chancel at Cotgrave. Besides the one given herein, I copied the two following:—
Here Lies the Remains of Ann Scrimshire the Second Daughter of John Scrimshire, Gent, of this Place, who departed this Life — day of August, 1755 Aged LV years.
Here Lieth the Body of Mary Scrimshire (Eldest Daughter of John Scrimshire, Gentleman) who Died the [10th] of July 1758, Aged Sixty . . .”
During the alterations to the chancel in 1899-1900 four partly obliterated floorstones were noticed, the inscriptions on which have been re-cut:—
Gen: senior 1669
IOHANNIS SCRIMSHIRE GEN
HERE ALSOE LYETH THE
BODYES OF MARGARETT
AND BRYAN. SCRIMSHIRE
2 CHILDREN OF JOHN
SCRIMSHIRE GEN AND
MARY HIS WIFE WHO DIED
THE THIRDANDFOURTH DAYES
OF JULY ANNO
HERE LyETH THE BODy
OF MISTRESS SCRIMSHIRE
THE WIFE OF WILLIAM
SCRIMSHIRE GENT WHO
DIED THE I7o OF MARCH
During the restoration of the church following the arson attack in 1996 the floor slabs of several members of the Scrimshaw family were removed from the chancel and relaid in the churchyard near the chancel door and close to the tower door.
Documentary research has brought to light other monuments in the church that have not survived to the present day (2020).
Kelly's Directory of Nottinghamshire (1925) records that a memorial had been 'placed [on the west nave wall of the church] in 1907 to Thomas Wood Mensing, for many years parish clerk and schoolmaster.' Mensing had died on 11 October 1906, aged 70.
The Grantham Journal reports that in February 1920 an oak tablet to Dorothy White, who died 11 November 1918, had been unveiled in the ringing chamber. White was a member of the local company of ringers.