Cotgrave All Saints


Tomb chests near the
east end of the church
The lychgate entrance to
the cemetery
The older part of the
The newer part of the

The churchyard is triangular in shape and covers an area of 0.3 ha. The church is located in the centre. Photographs from the early 20th century show graves on the west, north and east sides of the church but more recently the churchyard has been cleared, with the exception of three tomb chests in the area around the east end of the church and a tomb chest, three grave markers to the south-west of the tower and five grave markers against the west wall of the tower. A large number of grave markers have been laid flat to form paths across the grass and 21 have been removed to form a path in the cemetery across the road from the church. All the inscriptions on the grave markers and tomb chests in the churchyard have been transcribed and made available on the Cotgrave All Saints website.

Stone walls form the boundaries on the south, east and north sides. A path runs along the west side with iron railings marking the edge of the churchyard. The main entrance to the churchyard is on the south and comprises a gateway of stone piers and a wrought iron overthrow.

The cemetery is a short distance away on the south side of Plumtree Road and was created in 1899: the first burial was in April 1900. The land (0.4 ha) was the gift of the 3rd Earl Manvers.

Access to the cemetery is by a lychgate at the corner of Scrimshire Lane and Plumtree Road. The inscription on the gate reads:

This Lychgate made of Sherwood Forest Oak was presented to the parish of Cotgrave by Sydney William Herbert Third Earl Manvers A.D. 1899
The grave of
Robert and
Ann Runcie

The parents of Robert Runcie, Archbishop of Canterbury from 1980 to 1991, are buried here.

The principal war memorial is located in the cemetery.