For this church:
The site was unenclosed commons until the church was built in 1864. No earlier uses of the area have yet been discovered.
The present fabric dates largely from 1863-4, in 14th century French Gothic style, comprising nave with north and south aisles, chancel with polygonal apse, and west tower with a broach-spire.
Timbers and roofs
Fabricated steel frame of 2003, now with 10 bells, replacing a substantial timber bellframe, built for 6 bells but augmented to 8 on completion in 1864.
Not scheduled for preservation Grade 5.
Excavations and potential for survival of below-ground archaeology
No archaeological excavation has been undertaken at this church.
The fabric of the entire building dates from 1863-4 on a new site which was previously used as unenclosed common land. It is expected that the entire stratigraphy will date from 1863-4.
The churchyard is rectangular, adjacent to roads on its north, east, and south sides. The church itself is offset to the east of the churchyard. It has not been used for burials.
The overall potential for the survival of below-ground archaeology in the churchyard, is considered to be LOW comprising construction evidence from 1863-4, paths, and landscaping. Below the present interior floors of the nave and chancel it is considered to be LOW being principally stratigraphy from the 1863-4 building. The archaeology of the upstanding fabric is principally that of a single building phase of 1863-4 and is representative of the architecture of Thomas Chambers Hine; as a representation of local, mid-Victorian archaeology its potential is HIGH. There is an UNKNOWN potential for earlier stratigraphy relating to the site prior to its use as a church.
Exterior: There are no burials. Deposits around the church may contain evidence of the 1863-4 construction.
Interior: Stratigraphy under the entire building is likely to comprise, almost exclusively, 1863-4 and later deposits. Upstanding fabric largely intact from the same period.