For this church:
|IN THANKSGIVING FOR TIMOTHY FENTON, A.M. RECTOR 1704-1721
AND OTHERS WITH HIM WHO SO FAITHFULLY FOUNDED AND WISELY
SUSTAINED THE NOTTINGHAM BLUECOAT SCHOOL 1706
This window lies to the east of the north door. The glass was inserted in the existing tracery in 1969. The window commemorates Luke Jackson a seventeenth century benefactor of St Peter’s.
The dedication in the glass reads:
|REMEMBER WITH THANKSGIVING THE EXAMPLE OF
LUKE JACKSON, GIRDLER IN THE CITY OF LONDON, FRIEND AND BENEFACTOR OF THIS
PARISH. BAPTISED 14TH OCTOBER 1582, DIED 30TH JANUARY 1631.
CALL TO MIND WITH HIM ALL FOR WHOM LOVE OF GOD
HAS INSPIRED COMPASSIONATE SERVICE OF OTHERS
This window is the third out of the four in the north aisle and is dated 1969 in the bottom right hand corner. It commemorates Abel Smith (1717-1788) a banker and philanthropist and John Holland Walker (1874-1960) a businessman and local historian both of Nottingham.
The glass carries the inscription:
This window is the easternmost in the north aisle. It is dated 1963 in the bottom right hand corner, and was officially dedicated on lst September of that year. This commemorates Alderman Sir William Crane CBE JP (1874-1959).
The lettering in the window reads:
|REMEMBER WITH THANKSGIVING THE LIFE AND WORK OF
WILLIAM CRANE, KT, C.B.E., 1874-1959
ALDERMAN AND HONORARY FREEMAN OF THE CITY
PRO-CHANCELLOR OF THE UNIVERSITY OF NOTTINGHAM
This is the principal window of the chancel, at the east end over the altar. It was constructed at the same as the rebuilding of the chancel in 1877-8.
7The window along with the one to its right (window 8) form a pair, dating from the rebuilding of the chancel in 1877-8. They were made by the London firm Heaton, Butler and Burgess, and were given by Dr Isaac Massey in memory of two former rector of St Peter’s.
It depicts Christ teaching the crowds
8This window forms a pair with window 7.
It depicts Christ healing and casting out demons, and is dedicated in memory if William Howard, rector of St Peter’s from 1853 to 1866.
This window, above the side altar, was installed in 1881 and was designed and made by one of the best known Victorian stained-glass factories, the London firm of Burlison and Grylls.
It was given by the Revd Joseph Braithwaite in memory of his parents and brother. It depicts the Palm Sunday entry to Jerusalem in the upper four lights. Below to the left is Christ cleansing the Temple and, to the right, teaching there.
The windows in the wall of the south aisle all date from 1799. The illustration of the church in Deering’s history shows that these replaced four-light windows of a transitional Decorated/Perpendicular style. These seven are now glazed with plain “Cathedral” glass.
These are the most western windows in the wall of the south aisle, in the area used as the Baptistry. They are a modern addition to the stained glass in St Peter’s being installed in 1976, the most recent apart from the Workers’ Memorial Window. These were designed by Margaret Traherne and created by Angelo Camenzuli of Hammersmith.