Nottingham St Peter

Official Listing Description






(South side)

Church of St Peter with St James
(Formerly Listed as:
Church of St Peter)

Grade I

Church. C15, retaining C13 and mid C14 arcades. Nave and south aisle reroofed 1501-09 by Nicholas Strelley. Extensively damaged 1644. Chancel and north transept renewed 1875 by Evans & Jolley. Vestries 1815 and 1936. Major restorations 1719, 1914, 1929, 1946. Ashlar with gabled and hipped slate roofs. PLAN: chancel and vestries, north transept, nave with clerestory, aisles, west tower and spire. EXTERIOR: plinth, buttresses, crenellated parapets to nave and aisles. Chancel, 3 bays, has plain parapet and coped gable. 7-light pointed arched east window on sill band. South side has a moulded doorway with hood mould, flanked by 3-light pointed arched windows. Vestry, 1815, has to east a Decorated style 2-light window. Adjoining vestry, 1936, 2 bays, has a low pitched roof behind a parapet. North transept has a coped gable with a 3-light Perpendicular window. Clerestory, 5 bays, has to south ten 3-light Perpendicular windows with bar tracery. North side, renewed 1699, has plain elliptical arched 4-light windows. South aisle, 10 bays, has nine 3-light pointed arched windows with transoms, the tracery renewed 1927. In the third bay, an elliptical arched doorway with ogee hood mould, early C19. East and west ends have similar 4-light windows. North aisle, 5 bays, has 3-light pointed arched windows with hood moulds. In the fourth bay, a projecting gabled porch, 1889, with pointed arched doorway. West tower, mid C14, 3 stages, has angle buttresses, crenellated parapet, and set back octagonal spire. West side has a pointed arched doorway with late C20 doors, and above it, a 3-light pointed arched window and an empty niche. Bell stage has four 2-light pointed arched bell openings, each with a clock dial below it. INTERIOR: chancel has a double-coved arch with responds and a Decorated style wooden screen dated 1897. To south, restored rood loft openings. Panelled wagon roof, elaborately painted. East window has stained glass, 1878. North side has a double chamfered arch with traceried wooden screen and organ console, 1898, and a doorway. South side has piscina, sedilia and doorway, and stained glass windows, mid C19. Nave, 5 bays, has an arch braced low pitched roof on angel corbels. West end has a tall double chamfered tower arch with imposts and a glazed wooden screen and doors, 1887. Tower chamber has a single bay rib vault and stained glass west window, 1870. North arcade, c1360, restored 1495, possibly raised early C18. Fillet moulded quatrefoil piers, double chamfered arches with hood moulds and stops. South arcade, C13, has quatrefoil piers and double chamfered arches with hood moulds. Between the third and fourth bays, a section of wall with a war memorial figure under a spire canopy, 1922. North aisle has an off-centre doorway and 4 windows with stained glass panels by John Bucknall, 1964. At the east end, an organ case by Snetzler, 1770. South aisle has a stained glass east window, 1874, and 2 west windows with stained glass 1976 by Margaret Traherne. Both aisles have lean-to roofs. Fittings include C17 panelled font on a traceried C14 stem. Mid C20 pulpit. Brass eagle lectern, 1894. Other furnishings late C19, with former pews arranged as wainscotting. Memorials include an obelisk with portrait medallion by Bacon, 1811, and several tablets from the Church of St James, resited 1933. 2 Renaissance Revival style alabaster tablets, early C17. 2 tablets with drapery and crests, one with winged skull, to the Rickards family, 1675 and 1703. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Nottinghamshire: London: 1979-: 223-224; Church Guide: Derry A).