For this church:
Thrumpton All Saints
Official Listing Description
The following are listed:
Parish church. C13, C15, extensively restored 1871 by G. E. Street. Ashlar, some dressed coursed rubble. Plain tile roofs with decorative ridges. Coped gables with single ridge crosses to the east nave and east chancel. Single stack to vestry. Set on a chamfered plinth to all but the south west nave and buttressed apart from the tower. Tower, nave, north organ chamber and vestry and chancel. C13 dressed coursed rubble embattled tower set on a low chamfered plinth, of 2 stages with bands and ashlar quoins. The west and south walls with single C13 lancets, the north wall with single smaller lancet. 4 arched 2 light bell chamber openings. Thenorthnave wall, of dressed coursed rubble to the west, has a single restored C14 window with 3 arched and cusped lights under a flat arch. Below is an arched tomb recess commemorating those who died in the 1914-18 war, with a reclining effigy of a soldier. To the left is a double chamfered arched doorway with hood mould and decorative label stops. Further left are 2 restored C15 windows each with 2 cinquefoil arched lights under a flat arch. Projecting from the north wall of the chancel is the gabled organ chamber set on a chamfered plinth. The west wall has a single cinquefoil arched light, below a single flight of steps leads to an arched doorway. The north wall has a single pair of trefoil arched lights and to the left a moulded arched doorway. To the left is the vestry with single pair of trefoil arched lights in the east wall. The north wall of the C19 chancel has a continuous band forming a sill band to the east and south chancel windows. The east chancel with C19 arched 3 light window with cusped flowing tracery, hood mould and decorative label stops. The south chancel has 2 C19 two light windows both with cusped tracery under a flat arch, that on the left being larger. The south nave has 3 restored C15 windows each with 2 cinquefoil arched lights under a flat arch. To the right of the left window is a chamfered arched doorway with hood mould. Interior. Triple chamfered tower arch. Moulded chancel arch supported on quatrefoil responds with moulded capitals and fillets to the single central shafts. Decorative wrought iron screen under. Moulded organ chamber/chancel arch supported on engaged columns with fillets and moulded capitals. The north chancel wall with 2 bay aumbry with single central colonnette and 2 trefoil arches. The south wall has a low ashlar sill to the east window forming a sedilia. Reredos decorated with carved figures, this, the organ case, pulpit, decorated with blind tracery, and similar font are by Street. Remaining furniture C19. Projecting from the south wall of the nave is a stair turret with chamfered arched doorway. On the north nave wall is a memorial to John Wescomb Emmerton Wescomb, 1838, this has a Gothick surround. That to John Emmerton Wescomb Emmerton, 1823, is set into an arched recess with marble surround and has a sarcophagus below the inscription and a crest over. The memorial to John and Thomas Emmerton, 1745, has an oval inscription tablet surrounded by a garland and with crest over, the apron has a further inscription and the crown a shield. The south nave wall has a bulbous oval alabaster tablet to Winifred Coppindale, 1648. In the south chancel is a good large memorila to Gervase Pigot, 1669, restored 1950. Large rectangular inscription tablet surmounted by a band of shields. Either side are single angels supported on corbels, these hold back curtains over the inscription. Apron decorated with a stylised tree and carved fruit.
Font. C13. Ashlar. Tapering octagonal pedestal supports the circular bowl decorated with blind arcading.